Steamed Salmon and
Hollandaise is very easy to make with
your Thermomix. The reduction will keep in the fridge and is enough
for about 5 recipes of hollandaise.
5 shallots, peeled and halved
250 g white wine
250 g white wine vinegar
10 g peppercorns
- Place a heavy bottomed saucepan
on top of the TM lid and add all the reduction ingredients to it, using
the built-in TM weighing scales.
- Reduce on the hob until half
the original quantity remains. Strain, cool, keep in the fridge in a
sterilised jar covered with a sterilised lid.
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
20 to 70 g hollandaise reduction depending on taste(recipe above)
250 g butter, diced
20 to 30 g freshly squeezed lemon juice depending on taste
several grinds of pepper
3 generous pinches of
fine sea salt
- Melt the butter 10 minutes/37°C/Speed 3 until completely melted or melt gently in a pan on the hob until no warmer than body heat. Pour out and set aside (or leave in your first TM bowl and use your second TM bowl for the egg mixture).
- Insert Butterfly Whisk into clean TM bowl. Whisk eggs, reduction and lemon juice 12 minutes/70°C/Speed 2½ until a sabayon or thick sauce forms. Don’t worry if it curdles as adding the melted butter will re-emulsify it perfectly.
- Set to Speed 2½ and slowly pour in the melted butter, whisking until it is fully incorporated. Adjust acidity and season to taste then serve immediately or store in a covered bowl in the fridge to prevent a skin from forming. You can also keep it at serving temperature 60 minutes/60°C/Speed 2 to 3. Reset again when the timer sings if a longer holding time is required.
Steamed Salmon and
7 or 8 spears of good
English(!) asparagus per person (optional – with stems peeled)
1 x 120 g fillet of
salmon per person, about 1 cm thick
Maldon sea salt, pepper
and freshly squeezed lemon juice to season
- Put 1 litre of water into
the TM bowl and set 60 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed 1.
- When at full steam and your
order comes in, place salmon and asparagus into Varoma steaming tray
– season with the salt and pepper from a height. Place Varoma on the
TM and steam for 4 minutes/Varoma Temperature/Speed 1. The salmon should
be just firm to the touch when cooked. Squeeze lemon juice over salmon
- Serve salmon and asparagus
with warm hollandaise.